Subscribe to Insurance News
- Anti-terrorism Financing Lists
- United Nations Sanctions on Iran
- United Nations Sanctions on Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Notes: Canadian and Foreign Insurance Companies and Fraternal Benefits Societies
- Notes: Canadian and Foreign Insurance Companies and Fraternal Benefits Societies
OSFI regulates and supervises deposit-taking institutions (DTIs) including banks, foreign bank branches, trust and loan companies, and cooperatives.
The Canadian banking industry comprises six large domestic banks and many smaller deposit-taking institutions. The six largest banks account for approximately 90% of total assets among Canada's federally regulated DTIs. Their diversified business lines extend beyond traditional deposit-taking and lending activities into trading, investment banking, wealth management and insurance. The remaining 10% of Canadian banking assets are held by smaller institutions with niche focus and business strategies, such as mortgage lending, commercial real estate or credit cards.